Few regions of the world have experienced the growth in property development at the pace and size has occurred in the UAE, particularly in Dubai and Abu Dhabi.
However, property transactions in the region present particular challenges for both local and foreign investors. Each emirate has its own land laws and this is further complicated by the existence of various “free zones”, some of which also have individual land laws.
As a consequence, the location of a property in the UAE and the legal status of the vendor and purchaser are of particular importance. To add to the complexity, property law in the UAE is continually developing and changing as more sophisticated rules and regulations are proclaimed.
Lutfi & Co DIFC provides experienced advice on all aspects of real property related transactions, including sale and purchase of residential, commercial and industrial property, master planning and regulatory requirements for developments, shared facilities and common ownership agreements, joint developments and property joint ventures, facilities management, asset management agreements and strategies, plus all leasing, landlord and tenant matters.
Our team has wide experience in handling all aspects of property transactions, including:
- Negotiating contracts for acquisition of sites including arrangements for remediation and attendant risk
- Drafting and negotiating options, tenders, expressions of interests for acquisitions on sale of properties
- Setting up, negotiating and documenting joint ventures, project participation arrangements and project management agreements
- Establishing the structure of titling for projects, particularly staged or multi-use developments
- Advising and negotiating on titling, subdivisions, by-laws, development contracts and strata and stratum title projects
- Advising on and drafting aspects of title such as by-laws, development contracts, easements and covenants
- Advising on drafting easements and covenants
- Town planning issues
- Preparing leases including head leases and subleases, licenses, and agreements for lease over commercial, industrial and retail spaces, vacant land and negotiating changes to leases for both landlords and tenants
- Acting on the sale of interests in the whole or parts of projects
- Advising on planning and environmental issues
- Negotiating, mediating or litigating on disputes over property transactions including contracts for sale and leases
- Advising on all revenue aspects of property transactional arrangements, including the implications of entering into arrangements and assignment of options.